Create a fun and simple countdown to Easter cross puzzle, free printables included, that you can reuse every year.
Today I want to share with you a project I made for my kids many years ago. It’s a family favorite, and they still get excited about it. We enjoy Easter egg hunts, dying eggs, and fun filled baskets, but I wanted to find a fun way to make the true Easter story part of our traditions every year. So, I came up with this easy puzzle.
Starting Palm Sunday, the girls go on a hunt around the house looking for the first puzzle piece (I usually hide it the night before). Once the piece is found, we look at the back of the piece to see what part of the bible read. Then, we read about what Jesus did the week leading up to His death and resurrection. Everyday there is a new piece to find, and the girls build the cross puzzle all week long until Easter Sunday. We hang the puzzle on the refrigerator as part of our Easter decorations.
- Plain Card Stock (White or Colored)
- Patterned Cardstock
- Double-Sided Tape
- Laminator or Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets (Like These)
How to Make Your Countdown Cross Puzzle
- Print out the Puzzle Background on white or colored card stock. (I used light purple card stock)
- Laminate the card stock background with a laminator or self adhesive laminating sheets.
- Print out the Individual Cross Template on regular printer paper. Cut out the templates.
- Use the cross templates as stencils to cut the crosses our of patterned card stock. Glue the small card stock cross on top of the large cross.
- Once the glue is dry, cut the layered card stock cross into 8 pieces. Use the Cross Puzzle Pieces Template or cut your own.
- On the back of each puzzle piece write bible verses for reference (suggestions below) or page numbers from a picture bible for smaller children.
- Laminate each puzzle piece individually. Use double sided tape to stick the puzzle pieces to the background.
Bible Verse Suggestions:
Day 1: Palm Sunday, The Triumphal Entry
- Matthew 21: 1-9
- Mark 11: 1-11
- Luke 19: 28-40
- John 12: 12-15
Day 2: Jesus Cleanses the Temple
- Matthew 21: 12-17
- Mark 11: 15-19
- Luke 19: 45-47
Day 3: The Great Commandment & Betrayal of Jesus
- Matthew 22: 34-39, 26: 1-4, 14-16
- Mark 12: 28-31, 14: 10-11
- Luke 22: 1-6
Day 4: The Lord’s Supper & Prayer in Garden of Gethsemane
- Matthew 26: 26-29, 36-39
- Mark 14: 22-25, 32-36
- Luke 22: 14-20, 39-44
Day 5: Jesus’ Arrest
- Matthew 26: 47-50
- Mark 14: 43-46
- Luke 22: 47-53
- John 18: 1-5, 12-13, 28-32
Day 6: The Crucifixion
- Matthew 27: 32-56
- Mark 15: 21- 41
- Luke 23: 26-47
- John 19: 17-37
Day 7: The Burial
- Matthew 27: 57-66
- Mark 15: 42-47
- Luke 23: 50-56
- John 19: 38-42
Day 8: Easter Sunday, The Resurrection
- Matthew 28: 1-10
- Mark 16: 1-8
- Luke 24: 1-12
- John 20: 1-23
- Let the kids color the crosses: Instead of using patterned card stock, print the Individual Cross Template on white card stock. Then, let your children color them.
- Let the kids color the background too. Then, laminate when they are done. (Plain Background Below)
- Cut more pieces for a longer countdown. (I made 8 pieces so there’s one a day from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday, but make as many as you like.)