Nutrition: 413 Calories | 14.1g Net Carbs | 33g Protein | 36.7g Total Fat
An easy tri tip roast slow cooker recipe with carrots, rutabaga and a garlic compound butter. A hearty meal is tasty enough for stress free entertaining.
I love making roasts in the slow cooker. Especially this time of year. I usually make one every weekend because they are easy, hearty and comforting. If you’re looking for a bit fancier version of the classic roast, try a tri tip roast. This triangular cut of beef is lean but perfectly marbled making if flavorful and tender. And some more luscious flavor to you meal by making a homemade compound butter to serve on top. This tasty trip tip roast slow cooker recipe is perfect for stress free entertaining or a comforting family meal any night of the week.
Start with the Vegetables
The perfect side to any hearty roast is some roasted vegetables. For this recipe, we’re using carrots and rutabaga. Rutabaga is a great alternative to potatoes. One cup of rutabaga has only 50 calories and less than seven grams net carbs, compared to one cup of potato which has over 100 calories and twenty grams net carbs. Rutabaga cooks up with a nice smooth, creamy texture too. First, peel and cube the carrots and rutabaga. Then, put the cut vegetables in the slow cooker. Finally, add olive oil, season salt, ground thyme and crushed garlic to the vegetables. Toss everything together, coating all the vegetables.
Season and Sear the Tri Tip Roast
Once the vegetables are ready in the slow cooker, heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. While the pan is heating, season the roast with salt and pepper. Then, add olive oil to the hot pan. Sear the roast on both sides. Finally, place the seared roast on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
Make a Balsamic Pan Sauce
While the roast is searing, finely dice an onion. When the roast is finished searing, turn the heat down in the pan. Move the tri tip to the slow cooker. Then, add olive oil and the diced onion to the pan. Sauté the onion until it’s translucent. Then, add crushed garlic and dried thyme to the onions. Continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute or so. Next, pour balsamic vinegar into the pan. Use a spoon the stir everything together and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
Finally, add some ground mustard to the sauce. Stir the mustard in and let the sauce simmer for a minute. Once the balsamic pan sauce has reduced, pour it over the roast. Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook the tri tip roast on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Garlic Compound Butter
While the tri tip and vegetables are cooking, make an easy compound butter the serve on top. First, put room temperature butter in a food processor with one clove of garlic, ground thyme and fresh lemon zest and juice. Then, process everything together until the butter is smooth and all the ingredients are well combined. Save the compound butter until it’s time to serve the roast.
Slice, Serve and Enjoy
When the tri tip is ready, slice the roast across the grain. Serve the meat with the roasted vegetables on the side and the compound butter on top. Enjoy.
Other recipes to check out: Slow Cooker Turkey Roast with Vegetables, Slow Cooker Cornish Hens, and Italian Beef Slow Cooker Recipe.
Tasty Tri Tip Roast Slow Cooker Recipe with Garlic Butter
An easy tri tip roast slow cooker recipe with carrots, rutabaga and a garlic compound butter. A hearty meal tasty enough for stress free entertaining.
Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2 lb Tri Tip Roast
- 4 Large Carrots
- 1-2 lb Rutabega
- 1 Medium Onion
- 6 Cloves of Garlic, Divided
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Tbsp Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Season Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Thyme, Divided
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- Peel the carrots and rutabaga. Chop them into pieces and place them in the slow cooker. Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic to the vegetables along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon season salt, and 1 teaspoon of ground thyme. Toss the chopped vegetables until they are coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Season the trip tip roast with salt and pepper on both sides. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and sear the roast on both sides. While the roast is searing, dice the onion.
- Once the roast is seared on both sides, put it in the slow cooker on top of the seasoned vegetables. Turn the temperature on the stove down to medium. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan on the stove and the diced onion. Sauté the onion until it’s translucent.
- Then, add a 1/2 teaspoon of thyme to the pan and 3 cloves of crushed garlic. Stir it all together. When the garlic is fragrant, add the balsamic vinegar to the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release all the bits on the bottom. Finally, add the ground mustard. Stir everything together, and let it simmer about 1 minute. Then, pour the pan sauce over the tri tip. Put the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 (or high for 4 hours).
- While the roast and vegetables are cooking, make the compound butter. In a food processor, combine the butter, 1 clove of garlic, the zest and juice of the lemon and 1/2 a teaspoon of thyme. Process the butter until everything is throughly mixed together. Transfer the compound butter to a bowl and set aside until it’s time to serve.
- When it’s time to serve, slice the trip tip roast across the grain. Serve the roast with compound butter on top and the vegetables on the the side. Enjoy.
Yield: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413, Total Fat: 36.7g, Saturated Fat: 16.4g, Cholesterol: 168.2mg, Sodium: 77.3mg, Carbohydrates: 18.7g, Fiber 4.6g, Sugars: 11.1g, Protein 33g